Monday, June 28, 2010

Leaving Raleigh

With a week to go until we officially move out (and I can't say I'm not looking forward to it...given the half-packed, cramped, mouldy, and currently being re-roofed status of my apartment, I can't but be glad to leave).

But, I have been thinking about things I'll miss (and NOT miss) about Raleigh, and the Triangle in general.

So, here goes:

What I'll Miss:
  • The variety of food, in particular my favorite restaurants Jasmine's (Lebanese), the Tangerine Cafe (Thai), and Tandoor (Indian).
  • All the performing arts in the area, in particular DPAC and seeing the Nutcracker at Memorial (even if one of the candy canes DOES always drop his hula hoop into the orchestra pit).
  • Being here in the fall when the leaves change and the air gets crisp
  • UNC in the spring, when the azaleas bloom
  • All the libraries to choose from
  • Downtown Raleigh and its very urban feel (but impossible-to-drive one-way streets)
  • Having a hairdresser I like
  • Being able to tell where someone is from in the state just by hearing them speak
  • All the plants I'm used to (pine trees being only one example)
  • My family being close
  • Southern Season
What I WON'T Miss:
  • The traffic! (even though I've come to learn to drive like a maniac in rush hour traffic, I've never learned to like it)
  • Harris Teeter (my brief foray into Publix has me already looking forward to shopping there)
  • It being cold in the winter
  • Living inland,and the resulting terrible seafood
All in all, I'm sad to leave...but don't worry, I'll be back.

No comments: