Monday, July 16, 2012

Catering escapades

There have been several times in my life when I have been very, very glad that I can cook. This past weekend, as co-hostess of a bridal shower, was one of those times. I made the cake and 4 trays of hors d'oeurves and paid a fraction of what I would have had to pay for a bakery cake/actual caterer. And, I like to think, they were just as good.

Bacon and Swiss mini quiches

Sausage and cheddar balls

Chicken salad cups

Chocolate-covered strawberries

Strawberry cake with almond frosting, to match the invitations

I'm no expert at any of this; other than the cake, which I did a test run of a few weeks ago, I'd never made any of this food before. I'm clearly not a master decorator, either; I'm hoping to be able to take a cake-decorating class at some point. But, I'm pretty proud of them. I know that being able to cook isn't universal, so I like being able to do something that not everyone can. Several people have tried to convince me to open a catering business and/or bakery, and though I have no plans to do that anytime soon, who knows what the future holds if I need a more flexible schedule.

No comments: