Saturday, May 26, 2012

Goodbye Florida

On the eve of our departure from Florida, I've just been reflecting on what I'll miss about Florida (and what I WON'T).

I'll miss:
  • The grad students. We really had a phenomenal community of friends here, and I hope we'll be able to keep up with them for years to come.
  • The winters. Sometimes I miss seasons, but the weather really is spectacular during the winter. 
  • Being able to only have one wardrobe (summer).
  • Disney World. We didn't actually make it to Disney World...but just knowing it was there...
  • The Silverspot...leather armchairs while watching a movie=bliss.
I WON'T miss:
  • Tourist season, which unfortunately coincides directly with the only time the weather is nice.
  • The tourist culture--mostly meaning that there IS no culture, and what there is, is only available during tourist season and then shuts down.
  • The weather outside of the winter (late March-November), which is scorching hot with burning sunlight that gives you skin cancer and damages your eyesight. I am not exaggerating. 
  • The lack of affordable recreation opportunities, including dining options.
  • Being an hour from the bank/Target/aforementioned limited dining options.
So, it's back to North Carolina...home for now but hopefully on to our own place soon.

Job application count: 8
Rejections: 1
Interviews: 0.


No comments: