Wednesday, September 3, 2008

First day on the job

I have, at long last, finished orientation and started my internship, at Jewish Family Services. Clearly, for those of you who know me, I am not Jewish, so this is definitely going to be a learning experience. 

Based on today, here are some things I'm going to be doing:
  • Meeting with individual elderly clients (one of whom is a Holocaust survivor!)
  • Going to Chaverim, the group program for seniors (next week we're going to lunch and a play!)
  • Planning/attending the "Mommy and me" group for Jewish moms with young children.
  • HOPEFULLY working on starting up a special needs group/parent support group.
I'm pretty psyched about that last part, so I hope it works out. Today I got to tour two synagogues in Durham, the Lerner School (a Jewish elementary school), and Duke's Hillel building, consult with one of the staff on a client with disabilities, and get treated to lunch.

It's going to be a busy semester for sure, with the restarting of my Arc work on Sunday and my work with JFS (a lot of which will ALSO be on Sundays).  But it was certainly a refreshing change not to be in TTK (the social work building)  listening to lectures for hours on end. I also went to a kickbox class, which I hadn't done in a while; all in all, it was a good day, and i'm not feeling so doom and gloom as I have been for the past 2 weeks. 

No comments: