Tuesday, September 16, 2008

A Mish Mash of Emotions

ANGER

On Sunday, I took the client I work with (for the sake of this blog, let's call him Joe) to Subway for lunch.  He chose to get a kid's meal, mainly because he had noticed that the toy was a nerf football, which he wanted. When we got to the front of the line, we were talking about who should order first, and the employee said ,"wait...are you guys TOGETHER?" I said  yes, and she proceeded to treat me as if I was crazy for choosing to eat lunch with Joe.  I ordered, and then he asked for a kid's meal, to which her response was, "HIM?" All I could do was nod, and hope she wouldn't try to argue with me about how old he is (17 today!) She treated us both as if we were completely stupid, which was frustrating, as both of us knew what we wanted to eat and just wanted to get decent service. In the end, her fellow coworker and herself were just standing at the register staring at us as we sat down in a booth to eat. In short, the Subway in Eastgate Shopping Center is a place I will no longer be honoring with my patronage.

FRUSTRATION

I've really been frustrated at the School recently, for wasting my time on pointless crap like meetings in which they tell us "Instructors are teachers!" NO, I HAD TO COME TO GRAD SCHOOL TO LEARN THAT.  I've also just been feeling burnt out and completely unmotivated to do any of the work I've been assigned...I'm utterly tired of going to school, which is understandable seeing as how i've been doing it for 20 out of my 23 years.  Also, I kind of feel like i'm beating my head against the wall in my field placement--I like elderly people and all, but it's just not where I want to be in my life right now.  I pretty much invited myself to a meeting where they're discussing starting a special needs group on Sunday...we'll see if that alleviates my frustration at all. I'm not sure if my supervisor means to do this (I really think she doesn't), but she's pretty much blowing off my interest in disabilities, which is even more frustrating.

EXCITEMENT

Today was a relief, since for once I wasn't feeling like I wanted to jump out the window just to escape my endless litany of classes in the same building. It was Harambee, the multicultural celebration, during the lunch break.  We had Egyptian belly dancers, Indian poetry, Brazilian martial arts, Puerto Rican bomba dancing and drumming, and even the Dean playing folk songs on his guitar.  My favorite, however, was an African-American woman (I wish I could remember her name to give her credit--I think maybe it was Rani?) who did slam poetry, one poem of which was entitled, "Revolution".

Here's a quote:
"Fuck giving the world a Coke,
I want to give the world some sense
But I'm out of change."

This is what keeps me at the School instead dropping out, as I've thought about doing so often since August 14th.  As Pink says in her new song, "So what, i'm still a rock star". And so am I.



No comments: