Monday, January 5, 2009

Sudden Changes

2008 certainly brought its share of changes--graduating, getting engaged, moving into an apartment on my own, starting grad school....but the 2nd day of 2009 brought one of the most sudden: On Friday, Brian's dad had some chest pain just as he was about to start a surgery, and was forced by the hospital administrators to have it checked out. Nobody thought it was going to be very serious, so we weren't worried--until they got the tests back to find that all his arteries were 90-95% blocked. So I basically threw Brian and Maddy in the car and drove to New Bern in the middle of the night (NOT fun), and they're doing his dad's surgery today. I'm actually just waiting for the call that he's gone into surgery, and then i'll go over and sit in the waiting room. (I think Dante was wrong--i'm pretty sure purgatory looks like a hospital waiting room where they never come out to tell you how it's going. My mom had neck surgery when I was in the 8th grade, and I just remembered sitting there as being so utterly miserable. Ironically, it was Brian's dad who did that surgery, and while my mom was in the hospital was the first time I met Brian, even if he doesn't remember it--he was in 9th grade then and went by BJ. teehee.)

So, in short, i'm back home for the week unexpectedly and back to my old habits of forcing Brian to sleep and eat. I'm sad that we're missing out on what we had planned--he was going to spend a few days at my apartment and had only been there about 2 hours when we had to leave--but glad that his dad didn't have any heart damage and was lucky enough to be in the hospital when it happened. Who knows what the future will bring...

2 comments:

Lara Newell said...

I remember being in the waiting room with my mom waiting for the Dr to come out and tell us we could go see my dad. We waited THREE hours with NOBODY coming to update us. Finally, when my mom was about to lose it we went and asked a nurse to go find out and she came back saying that they couldn't get my dad's pain level under control and we would have to wait some more. That day is definitely in the top two of the worst days of my life. (The top one being when my mom told me my dad had cancer). Is Brian's dad recovering ok?

Sarah said...

He's doing ok..I haven't been able to see him since I came down with a cold (my fever starting in the waiting room, ironically) but Brian says he's up and walking.