Sunday, January 25, 2009

Musings on movies & tv

Since I don't have much to report life-wise (other than a ruined snow day, thanks to UNC making me come to class, sending me home as soon as I got there, making me come back, and then closing), I thought I would talk about my various TV shows, and the movie I saw this weekend, Slumdog Millionaire.

First, TV. I watch wayyy too many shows, as I have discovered as I try to keep up with them all. At least BSG will be over for good soon.

Battlestar Galactica (henceforth referred to as BSG): There are only 8 episodes left, and they've been very tense/dramatic, since last season's finale when they finally reached Earth only to find that it had been nuked. So far this season there have been a lot of deaths/suicides, and also a lot of nutty unexplainable Cylon-related stuff. At least we finally found out who the final Cylon was. I just hope they don't throw Adama out of an airlock like it looks like they may do next week. Shame on you, Felix.

Top Chef: 7 chefs left (out of 17), and all I care about is that Stefan does not win. Right now I'm pulling for Jaime or Fabio.

Ugly Betty: I may actually stop watching this for a while...back when I started it was funny, and was my only comedy show. Now it's serious with people having heart attacks, affairs, and Betty wanting to get away from her family. Not fun anymore.

Bones: The first half of the season kind of sucked because of the Angela/ Hodgins breakup, but it's mostly redeemed itself. Now it's on at the same time as Ugly Betty, and I think I'll be choosing it to watch.

House: I've been a bit disappointed in House this season; 13 and Foreman are getting annoying. Plus I don't know where they're taking it. Also they've kind of run out of at least mildly plausible illnesses.

Jon & Kate Plus 8: I love this show, even if it does feature a lot of kids yelling. Plus Kate has polycystic ovaries like I do, so I find it hopeful to watch. Also, their kids are super polite, and aren't allowed to run amuck like a lot of kids these days.

Lost: I haven't watched any of this yet. I'm saving it until Top Chef is over, so I can reduce the amount of shows I'm trying to keep up with at least a little.

*Whew* I really need to eliminate some shows.
Now, on to Slumdog Millionaire...

When I initially heard the concept for this movie (set in India, a guy from the slums goes on India's version of Who Wants to be a Millionaire), I thought it sounded stupid. But after it won almost every Golden Globe it was up for, I thought I should see it. And it was AMAZING. The millionaire stuff was the cover for the plot--but he ends up getting arrested because they think he's cheating, and for each question he tells a bit of his history and how he knew the answer to it. And he gets the girl AND the million (dollars, I guess...it was something like 10 million rupees), and then they all do a Bollywood style dance in the train station. Ah, excellent.

It's back to reality tomorrow, alas.

Weeks till Spring Break: 6.


1 comment:

Lara Newell said...

Yes, I too have discovered that I watch waay too many TV shows. Every night has a show, including Fridays, where I watch all the shows that I miss on Thursdays due to the amount of shows that are on that night. Ahhh...