Monday, August 17, 2009

Wedding movies and expo

This weekend was the Southern Bridal Expo (which was madness...more on that in a bit), so Lara and I decided to have a wedding movie marathon to psych ourselves up for it.

Here is the list of what we watched:
  • My Big Fat Greek Wedding
  • Father of the Bride
  • The Wedding Singer
  • The Wedding Date
  • Bride Wars
  • Four Weddings and a Funeral
  • Runaway Bride
  • The Wedding Planner
Here is what I have determined about weddings based on these movies:
  • If you are not engaged, you will be soon. If you are, you're probably engaged to the wrong person. But don't worry--you'll find the right person, no one will be upset, and you'll get married anyway.
  • Canceling weddings at the VERY last minute is not hard. Also, no one bothers about all the money you just wasted.
  • Weddings=awkward conversation and family members.
  • No one bothers to make arrangements to live together after the wedding if they're not already. In fact, a good number of brides are living with their parents.
  • Many wedding dresses are ugly, especially if they are from the 80s or early 90s.
  • Grooms don't get much, if any, of a say.
What I learned from the bridal expo is this:
  • Most people are WAY more serious about wedding planning than I am; they all had custom labels with their wedding dates printed up.
  • Apparently you are supposed to lose weight to "look your best". It seems like not such a smart idea to lose weight after you buy your dress, but gyms think it is.
  • Some bakeries can't make cake better than I can in my tiny apartment kitchen, and don't deserve to have me pay them for something I could do myself.
  • Champagne and lemonade is good. Pink rose champagne is not.

In other words, it was 3 hours of having people throw themselves at me to get me to agree to use them. In most cases, I was not inclined (for example, registering at Macy's...who can afford to buy anything there??), wearing a sticker that said "June" on it like it was my name, and registering for a LOT of free stuff, none of which I will probably win. I was disturbed, really, by the gyms that were there advertising "bridal boot camps". Why would you want to look not like yourself on your wedding day? Thin does not equal "looking your best". Urgh.

I am trying to take it one step at a time as far as planning goes...currently I am looking for a photographer. Hopefully that will be soon.

No comments: