Sunday, August 10, 2008

Ch-ch-changes

"Pretty soon now you're going to get a little older"--David Bowie, "Changes"

It's really hit me in the past week how many things are changing, and how fast. With school looming ahead, and everyone that was staying in Chapel Hill for the summer moving on to the next stage in their lives (and everyone who is staying in Chapel Hill focusing on their jobs rather than textbooks and class lists), I've been feeling a bit melancholy.  I almost wish I hadn't decided to move on to grad school--I've enjoyed working during the day and having the nights and weekends free to do whatever I wanted.  Of course, now that I'm living alone ( a decision i'm also beginning to regret), free time usually equals me time--which i'm not so sure I like so much.

Of course, there are pros and cons to both school and having to live alone, such as:

  • I counted, and since my freshman year I have lived with TWENTY THREE different people, counting the girls I lived with in London when I studied abroad. This is just completely insane, and it's almost a relief not to have such a flowing tide of roommates anymore.
  • BUT, I miss having roommates to talk to--not to mention split the bill.
As far as school goes, 
  • Of course there's the argument for getting a better job post-graduation with a higher and more specialized degree.
  • BUT--two more years of school??? I'm having to take 5 classes, do an internship, AND do an online class just for this fall--not to mention keeping up my part-time job too.
In short, things are changing, and far too fast for my liking. When did college end?? I'm an engaged, 23-year-old grad student, and that seems a bit scary. Still, it will be interesting to see what the future will hold...

No comments: