Tuesday, August 19, 2008

School of Social WORK

Well, I have to say, I now know why they call it social WORK. Thus far (and i've only been to 2 classes), it certainly looks to be a lot of work.

Today I had macro practice and development 1...I think they're going to be good and informative, but there's a lot of reading and assignments for both (no exams, though--yay!). A lot of students (and even some teachers) have said "You won't be able to read it all". WELL, WHY ASSIGN IT THEN? Really, that makes no sense to me.

 I've also been working on my online class, and here's a quote from a video I had to watch about Native American mascots and how they're offensive:
"Minority rights aren't always right".  REALLY.  Someone really said this (I think this person was also in the Illinois senate).  Well, shouldn't everyone have rights?  Native American mascots have always kind of bothered me at the back of my mind (plus that arm-chopping thing the Seminoles do is freaking annoying), but watching this video, where several Native Americans explained that tribal dances are a religious ceremony and that Chief is an earned and very respected title (hence, seeing a "chief" dance around at half-time is extremely upsetting), i have to agree that it's offensive. It's like seeing someone playing Jesus or a priest or something during half-time--how can you not agree that's offensive? I'm not Native American (CLEARLY, if you've ever seen me), but I can understand how, after years and years of persecution, they'd just like some respect. Well, who wouldn't?

In short...i've had a lot of work, even so far, but i'm learning a lot. Let's hope this continues...

No comments: