Sunday, August 3, 2008

Welcome to Me

I have, at last, started a blog. I've been thinking about it for a while, because, well, gosh, it seems like everyone's doing it these days. But, now that i've moved into my own apartment and am sans roommates (and hence sans people to gripe at/with about all the various inconveniences of life), and I hate phone calls (which is irrelevant anyway, since my cell phone doesn't work in my apartment), it was either start a blog or spend all my time talking to my cat who, I must say, is not the best of communicators.

My main reason for not starting a blog was that I don't seem to have a central theme--but it struck me today, while going through all my copious material in preparation for grad school (starting NEXT THURSDAY!!! AHHH!!!) that the next 2 years are going to be packed with experiences and learning, and that is certainly a theme.  Besides that, a lot of people I know are moving away, and I want them to be able to keep up with me--sorry guys, bad cell signal and all. 

So, in case you don't know me (which you probably do, given that you're reading this) or haven't caught up in a while, here's a summary of me, to base future posts on:

I'm a first year graduate student in the School of Social Work, who just graduated with a BA in English from UNC (you wouldn't be the first  to say that these 2 are unrelated), am engaged to my boyfriend of 5 years (FINALLY), and love working with people with disabilities, which i've done both through Best Buddies throughout college, and several jobs, my current one being with the Arc of Orange County.  I also love reading, drinking tea, cats, movies of all kinds (except overly scary ones), and England, where I am convinced I am meant to live, and have no idea how I ended up in the States.  

coming up in my life: 
  • The end of Summer Work & Wellness, the camp I've been working at this summer, helping to teach teenagers with disabilities job skills and tools for independence
  • My interview with my potential internship site, Jewish Family Services
  • The start of my first year of grad school (which i'm sure will mean many, many meltdowns to come)
  • My conversion to Catholicism
In other words, many exciting times.   Also, expect many book and movie reviews.  

Welcome to Me. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Have fun with the blog. They get to be addicting.

Anonymous said...

They can indeed. Until you stop for like a week, then it's really hard to start again.