Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Happy 5769

It's October! I made it this far! I know this sounds like an easy thing to do, given that I always make it this far, but this fall has NOT been easy. There have been many times when I didn't think I would ever be able to change my calendar from September to October..but hallelujah, now I have. Next up: To make it to November...

This first day of October was quite an interesting one, as I went to my first synagogue service this morning, for Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year (this year is 5769).  This was perhaps not the best time to pick to go for the first time, as I ended up being there for 2 1/2 hours while I flipped through the prayer book futilely trying to figure out what was going on. Hebrew is NOT easy. At least I knew to open it left to right so I didn't look TOTALLY ridiculous...even if I did feel like I had a huge sign on my forehead saying,"Hello, I'm the token Christian...."

I've had another realization, this one about something I DON'T want to do: I don't like community organizing. At all. I'm on a team for my macro class to get a living wage ordinance, and, although I respect that this is good and necessary, I don't enjoy being a part of it at all.  This might be different if it were some kind of law about special needs...but probably not. I just don't like their approach in general, having a bazillion meetings and doing research. Blech. At least that's one thing I can cross off the list...

Shanah Tovah! Hopefully this year will be less stressful than last...

1 comment:

Lara Newell said...

I know how you mean. My countdown is trying to make it to Fall Break and then it'll be November, and then Thanksgiving, and then exams.

On a side note: I AM writing in my journal. Just for some reason it doesn't feel like telling anyone.