Saturday, April 11, 2009

Easter musings

This past week has been an interesting one--I went to a Passover Seder last Sunday (my next-to-last Jewish holiday at JFS!), and since Passover and Easter merged this year (there's some phenomenon that only happens 28 years, where the sun is in the exact position it was at creation, and Passover/Easter merge, or something--it's this year), and even though it was a community-wide seder and not a family seder, it was still nice. I'm now in love with haroset (a fruit/nut/wine mix that spreads like jam), and was very exited to see that Locopops was selling haroset popsicles, but they weren't as good as the real thing. It is just fascinating to see how Judaism and Christianity merge, and I think I have learned a lot about my faith just by working there. Especially culturally...I understand the Jew's kvetching in the desert more now after working with elderly Jews. Let me tell you, they complain A LOT. "Why have we been wandering for 40 years? Why has Moses been up on Mt. Sinai so long? I don't like the third commandment, etc. etc....."

Also, my mom was up this weekend, so we went to visit my grandpa and great-aunt and talked about family. Here's what I learned:
  • My cousin got a new SUV to fit his 2 (soon to be 3) kids
  • my great-grandmother's name was Mary, but she went by Molly (she was called Ma Pickard by her kids)
  • My mom's cousin is currently in jail for life for child molestation. !!!!! I didn't even know she HAD these 4 cousins, much less that one of them had been in jail for years.
I finish 2 classes this week, but I still have 3 large papers and a presentation ahead of me. And then a lot of work shifts to find before camp starts. Here's hoping this summer goes well--it'll be my last "free" summer before I have to get a real job. Alas.

No comments: