Sunday, May 17, 2009

Movie reviews & life changes

So, I've seen a few movies recently, and thought I would review them. Also, some life updates afterwards.

Here are my reviews (written in order that I liked them, not the order that I saw them)

  • Seventeen Again: I drug Brian to this with him protesting the whole way that it was a chick movie and he didn't want to see it--but we both came out loving it. Zac Efron, when he's not singing cheesy songs and attached at the hip to Vanessa Hudgens, has great comedic timing. I saw reviews that touted this as a male Freaky Friday, but it was acually a lot better--Zac/Matthew Perry (his adult self) are upset because they gave up a big basketball scholarship and college to marry his high school girlfriend when she got pregnant--and at the end of the movie, he realizes he made the right decision after all, because he loves his wife and thinks his kids are great. Plus, he gets a job as the high school basketball coach and loves that too. In addition to all these happy moral messages, Mike (Zac)'s nerdy best friend, Ned, is every nerd's dream--he made it big inventing nerdy stuff, and now has all types of nerd gear, including light sabers and a bed that looks like the speeder from A New Hope. Overall, REALLY funny, and worth seeing. Possibly more than once.
  • Star Trek. So, of course I went to see this with Brian, who is a huge Star Trek fan, but I'm fairly into sci fi stuff myself, given my love for Star Wars and the fact that I've been dating Brian for six years and my only other serious boyfriend before him was also a huge Star Trek fan. I was a tad wary, because the original Star Trek was so hokey (aliens were usually hot women in skimpy outfits who wanted to have sex with Kirk), but this movie was really great. Funny, lots of action, and also lots of Vulcans (my favorite). Zachary Quinto was a dead ringer for Leonard Nimoy, too. I wish there had been more Scotty, though. And less skimpy outfits for the starfleet women. But you can't get everything.
  • Wolverine: I went to see this with my mom, who has a bit of an unhealthy obession with Hugh Jackman. She of course loved it, given the screentime that Hugh spends shirtless, but I thought it was a bit lacking in plot. Deadpool only lasts about 5 seconds? Wolverine and Sabretooth fight it out in an alley and no one notices? Mutants jump in and out but never stay long, some of them are recognizable like Scott, but others are new, like Gambit. And who knew Wolverine's claws were originally bone? And...that's about it. It wasn't as bad as X-Men 3 (WHY did Jean Grey go so nuts??), but not as good as the first 2 by a long shot. Sorry, Hugh.

Enough with movies...in terms of life updates, I'm feeling a bit more like myself (but still driving a rental car while I wait for mine to get fixed), I MIGHT be moving to Raleigh/Cary (this is really up in the air right now and really might not happen, so I'll update if anything really happens), I have another paper due this week for my summer class and...Brian's dad heard my dad isn't happy with his not having a job, and now Brian's dad wants to "confront him". I just hope there isn't a dad-on-dad smackdown in the middle of the hospital, given that both of the recently had surgery and aren't exactly young (my dad turns 60 in July!). As if our families weren't complicated enough....

No comments: